Rendang has always been a mandatory culinary that should not be missed when visiting Indonesia. Generally rendang is made from the basic ingredients of beef cooked long ago with coconut milk as one of the basic ingredients.
Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 120 minutes
Total: 150 minutes
Number of servings: 12 servings
Ingredients Required to Make Rendang Beef
Main Ingredients: 1 kg of beef
Ingredients and seasoning:
- 1 coconut
- 8 shallots cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 oranges leaves
- 4 candlenuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cm galangal
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 lemongrass stem
- 1/2 tablespoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
How to process meat before seasoning and cooking:
- The first thing you can do first is to cut the prepared beef in a thin size box with the length you want. Only, do not cut the meat too thick so that the meat can cook evenly.
- After being cut into pieces, now place the meat in the container and wash the meat using clean running water and make sure that the dirt and germs on the meat can be cleaned properly.
- After washing, remove and drain the washing water. Make sure if there is no standing water in the container, then set aside temporarily.
How to cook:
- Please grate the coconut, pour it with water and take the coconut milk, pour it into a large container or basin, take as much as 250 CC of thick coconut milk and 750 CC of thin coconut milk, then set aside temporarily.
- Next, finely mash the onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, galangal and candlenut which has been roasted, making sure if all the spices are smooth evenly.
- After that, prepare a skillet, give a little oil, wait for the oil to be added to be hotter and saute the seasoned ingredients. Stir-fry until the spices give off a delicious, fragrant aroma.
- Enter the bay leaves, orange leaves and lemongrass. Stir until evenly distributed until the newly added spices wither and their appearance becomes paler.
- Enter the beef that has been cleaned into stir-fry, stir until the meat that is inserted turns more brown in color.
- Pour the liquid coconut milk, stir evenly and make sure that the cooked coconut milk doesn’t break, which will make it look less attractive.
- After that, pour thick coconut milk little by little into the stew while continuing to stir evenly.
- Add spices such as powdered pepper, salt and sugar, stir well until the spices are cooked, the composition is evenly distributed. Then cook the meat until tender and the coconut milk releases oil.
- If it’s cooked, lift the stew from the stove and turn off the stove. Serve this rendang dish above the serving bowl and serve while still hot it will taste more delicious and more delicious.